Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Definition: inflamed glans penis +/- prepuce.
- Causes/associations: infection, diabetes mellitus (check serum or urine glucose as may be initial presentation), poor hygiene (uncircumcised), chemical irritants (soap, petroleum jelly), anasarca, drugs, morbid obesity, penile CA.
- Hx: tender glans, discharge, difficult to retract prepuce +/- impotence/difficult urination.
- PE: penile erythema/edema/ulcers/plaques +/- discharge +/- phimosis.
- Various types:
- Candidal: KOH prep/cx.
- Aerobic: cx for Strep/Staph/Gardnerella (r/o syphilis/trichomonas/HSV).
- Anaerobic: foul-smelling d/c, edema + lymphadenopathy. Gram stain will show mixed flora, polymicrobial cx.
- HPV: typical pathology with warts possible.
- Circinate: manifestation of reactive arthritis (formerly Reiter’s syndrome). Bx - spongiform pustules, may be chlamydia probe positive.
- Irritant/allergic: ? secondary to condoms, diaphragms, lubricants/spermicides, etc. Hx atopy common. Patch testing. Bx nonspecific.
- Fixed drug eruptions: medication hx (tetracycline, sulfa, PCN, salicylates, phenacetin, phenolphthalein, some hypnotics), + oral/ocular mucosa lesions. Rechallenge to confirm dx.
- Lichen sclerosus (balanitis xerotica obliterans): dx by bx. Associated with squamous call CA in 4-6% of patients. 1% risk of malignant transformation. Annual f/u needed.
- Erythroplasia of Queyrat: bx shows squamous cell carcinoma in situ.
- Zoon’s (plasma cell): pinpoint red spots "cayenne pepper spots" (typical appearance) or bright red or brown shiny patches with red specks. May resemble erythroplasia of Queyrat. Dx by biopsy.
- Ddx: leukoplakia, lichen planus, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, pemphigus, dermatitis artefacta, Bowen’s disease, Bowenoid papulosis.
- If not responsive to initial therapy, involve dermatology or urology consultants. If resistant to rx, consider biopsy r/o penile CA.