Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Small, pleomorphic Gram negative anaerobic bacillus. B. fragilis causes most human Bacteroides infections.
- Other members of B. fragilis group include:
- Bacteroides distasonis
- Bacteroides ovatus
- Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron
- Bacteroides vulgatus
- Easily grown relative to other anaerobes.
- Colonizes virtually all human colons.
- Organism possibly important in gut for immune modulation.
- B. fragilis group almost always susceptible to metronidazole, carbapenems, beta-lactam/beta-lactamase inhibitors and chloramphenicol.