- Human herpesvirus-8 (HHV-8): human gammaherpes virus, also known as Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV).
- 20-30% of gay men are HHV-8 seropositive vs. 1% of HIV-negative blood donors. Associated with receptive anal intercourse and number of partners. An unknown cofactor may be involved in transmission.
- HHV-8 gene products promote spindle cell proliferation and angiogenesis and therefore may eventually lead to tumor formation
- For diagnostic and specific information see modules Kaposi's sarcoma, Castlemans Disease.
HHV-8 was found in Johns Hopkins HIV Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide