- Aerobic gram-negative coccobacillus or rod, often mistaken for Neisseria or Moraxella on Gram stain.
- Common in environment (water, soil) and hospital (catheters, lotions, ventilation equipment).
- Grows on standard agar media.
- A. baumannii is the major species of Acinetobacter.
- Occasional other species include: A. calcoaceticus, A. lwoffi, A. junii, A. johnsonii and A. baylyi.
- Low grade pathogen affecting compromised hosts (immunosuppression, post-surgical, ventilator-associated pneumonia, burn wounds, ICU pts, device-associated infections and malnutrition).
Acinetobacter baumannii was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide