- Disorder of childhood and adolescence characterized by a repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated
- Conduct Disorder is classified under the Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders section of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5).
- In legal settings, a provider may be asked whether the actual DSM-5 criteria are met; please see the DSM-5 itself for a detailed list of the criteria.
- The major categories utilized by the DSM-5 for diagnosis are: aggression to people and animals, destruction of property, deceitfulness or theft, and serious violations of the rules.
- Antisocial personality disorder diagnosis often includes evidence of conduct disorder in youth.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: September 6, 2017
Reynolds, Elizabeth K, and Carisa Perry-Parrish. "Conduct Disorder." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787092/3.0/Conduct_Disorder.
Reynolds EK, Perry-Parrish C. Conduct Disorder. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787092/3.0/Conduct_Disorder. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Reynolds, E. K., & Perry-Parrish, C. (2017). Conduct Disorder. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787092/3.0/Conduct_Disorder
Reynolds EK, Perry-Parrish C. Conduct Disorder [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787092/3.0/Conduct_Disorder.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Conduct Disorder ID - 787092 A1 - Reynolds,Elizabeth,Ph.D. AU - Perry-Parrish,Carisa,Ph.D. Y1 - 2017/09/06/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787092/3.0/Conduct_Disorder DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -