Somatic Symptom Disorder
- A chronic mental disorder with persistent somatic symptom(s) associated with thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that are disproportionate to the somatic symptoms
- Somatic Symptom Disorder is classified under the Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders section of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5).
- This is a new disorder in DSM-5 that attempts to combine heterogeneous conditions, including the former somatization disorder, hypochondriasis, chronic pain conditions, and undifferentiated somatoform disorder.
- Hypochondriasis: disease preoccupation disproportionate to pathology which endures despite medical reassurance
- Somatization: experience or complaint of physical symptoms because of some other psychological distress (due to a disease, personality vulnerabilities, a drive, and/or life events)
- Briquet’s syndrome: life-long multisystem somatic complaints associated with a constellation of vulnerabilities, including temperament, sex, socioeconomic, status and intelligence; it was linked with the now-banned term “hysteria”
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: May 2, 2017
Speed, Traci, and Glenn Treisman. "Somatic Symptom Disorder." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787071/all/Somatic_Symptom_Disorder.
Speed T, Treisman G. Somatic Symptom Disorder. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787071/all/Somatic_Symptom_Disorder. Accessed June 5, 2023.
Speed, T., & Treisman, G. (2017). Somatic Symptom Disorder. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787071/all/Somatic_Symptom_Disorder
Speed T, Treisman G. Somatic Symptom Disorder [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 05]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787071/all/Somatic_Symptom_Disorder.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Somatic Symptom Disorder ID - 787071 A1 - Speed,Traci,M.D., Ph.D. AU - Treisman,Glenn,M.D., Ph.D. Y1 - 2017/05/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787071/all/Somatic_Symptom_Disorder DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -