Specific Learning Disorder
- Specific learning disorder (SLD) is a group of neurobiologically based neurodevelopmental disorders characterized by significant difficulties in the acquisition and use of:
- Mathematical abilities
- Specific learning disorder is classified under the Neurodevelopmental Disorders section of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5).
- The key feature is difficulties learning and using academic skills, despite interventions being put in place to target those difficulties.
- The difficulties may include: inaccurate or slow and effortful word reading; difficulty understanding the meaning of what is read; difficulties with spelling, written expression, mathematical reasoning; difficulties mastering number sense, number facts, or calculation.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: September 3, 2017
Ostrander, Rick, and E. M Mahone. "Specific Learning Disorder." Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787037/all/Specific_Learning_Disorder.
Ostrander R, Mahone EM. Specific Learning Disorder. Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787037/all/Specific_Learning_Disorder. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Ostrander, R., & Mahone, E. M. (2017). Specific Learning Disorder. In Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787037/all/Specific_Learning_Disorder
Ostrander R, Mahone EM. Specific Learning Disorder [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787037/all/Specific_Learning_Disorder.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Specific Learning Disorder ID - 787037 A1 - Ostrander,Rick,Ed.D. AU - Mahone,E.,Ph.D., ABPP Y1 - 2017/09/03/ BT - Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Psychiatry_Guide/787037/all/Specific_Learning_Disorder DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -