- Dimorphic fungus, recent taxonomy change to Talaromyces from Penicillium subgenus Biverticillium, reflects phylogenetic distinction from other subgenera of Penicillium. Disease still referred to as penicilliosis.
- Mold at 25oC with short, hyaline, septate and branched hyphae;
- Yeast at 37oC with cerebriform, smooth, light tan colonies; secretes bright red pigment that appears pink as it diffuses into agar.
- Yeast form 3-6 x 2 µm, sausage-shaped with central transverse septum.
- T. marneffei geographically distributed across tropical SE Asia. Endemic in: NE India, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, southern China.
- Reservoir: Bamboo rats
- Found in 100% of sample of hoary bamboo rats (cultured from lungs, liver and spleen) in Guangxi Province, China.
- Organism also isolated from soil of bamboo rats’ burrows.
- Transmitted primarily via inhalation; also direct inoculation, possibly ingestion.
- Proliferates in macrophages and spreads via reticuloendothelial system.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 14, 2020
Spacek, Lisa A. "Talaromyces Marneffei." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545162/all/Talaromyces_marneffei.
Spacek LA. Talaromyces marneffei. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545162/all/Talaromyces_marneffei. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Spacek, L. A. (2020). Talaromyces marneffei. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545162/all/Talaromyces_marneffei
Spacek LA. Talaromyces Marneffei [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2020. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545162/all/Talaromyces_marneffei.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Talaromyces marneffei ID - 545162 A1 - Spacek,Lisa,M.D., Ph.D. Y1 - 2020/01/14/ BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545162/all/Talaromyces_marneffei DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -