Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Dimorphic fungus, recent taxonomy change to Talaromyces from Penicillium subgenus Biverticillium, reflects phylogenetic distinction from other subgenera of Penicillium.
- Mold at 25oC with short, hyaline, septate and branched hyphae;
- Yeast at 37oC with cerebriform, smooth, light tan colonies; secretes bright red pigment that appears pink as it diffuses into agar.
- Yeast form 3-6 x 2 µm, sausage-shaped with central transverse septum.
- Reservoir: Bamboo rats
- Transmitted primarily via inhalation; also direct inoculation, possibly ingestion.
- Endemic in: NE India, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Hong Kong, southern China.