Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Dimorphic fungus, recent taxonomy change to Talaromyces from Penicillium subgenus Biverticillium, reflects phylogenetic distinction from other subgenera of Penicillium.
- Mold at 25oC with short, hyaline, septate and branched hyphae;
- Yeast at 37oC with cerebriform, smooth, light tan colonies; secretes bright red pigment that appears pink as it diffuses into agar.
- Yeast form 3-6 x 2 µm, sausage-shaped with central transverse septum.
- Reservoir: Bamboo rats
- Transmitted primarily via inhalation; also direct inoculation, possibly ingestion.
- Endemic in: NE India, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Hong Kong, southern China.