is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Spore-forming, anaerobic, gram-positive rod.
- Produces toxins A and B, which bind to specific receptors in colon. Toxins attack Rho proteins, disrupting actin formation and causing cell death.
- Studies show that toxin B, not toxin A, is essential for virulence.
- Spores contaminate hands and hospital environment. Alcohol and other antiseptic hand rubs may be ineffective in killing spores. Hand-washing physically removes spores.
- A hypervirulent strain (NAP1/B1/027) produces higher levels of toxins A and B and is associated with fluoroquinolone resistance, more severe disease, and higher mortality.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: January 3, 2017
McKenzie, Robin. "Clostridium Difficile." Johns Hopkins HIV Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545039/all/Clostridium_difficile.
McKenzie R. Clostridium difficile. Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545039/all/Clostridium_difficile. Accessed November 21, 2019.
McKenzie, R. (2017). Clostridium difficile. In Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545039/all/Clostridium_difficile
McKenzie R. Clostridium Difficile [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins HIV Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2019 November 21]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545039/all/Clostridium_difficile.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Clostridium difficile
ID - 545039
A1 - McKenzie,Robin,M.D.
Y1 - 2017/01/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins HIV Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_HIV_Guide/545039/all/Clostridium_difficile
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine