Nutrition: Overview in Diabetes
- All people with diabetes should receive diabetes self-management education (DSME), diabetes self-management support (DSMS), and medical nutrition therapy (MNT).
- DSME is facilitating the knowledge, skill, and ability necessary for diabetes self-care. This is typically provided by a healthcare professional.
- DSMS includes activities that assist with maintaining self-management behaviors and skills. This can be provided as part of a DSME program or a variety of community resources. This includes behavioral, educational, psychosocial and/or clinical support.
- DSME and DSMS are often grouped together and referred to as diabetes self-management education and support (DSME/S).
- MNT is nutrition counseling that includes an individualized nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, intervention and monitoring, and evaluation by a registered dietitian.
- Both MNT and DSME are reimbursed by Medicare as well as most health insurance plans. Medicare refers to this as diabetes self-management training (DSMT) which has the same meaning as DSME.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.