Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes
Incidence and prevalence of type 1 diabetes (T1DM) in the U.S. (SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study Group)
- Between 2002 and 2009 there was an increase in the incidence of T1DM, from 24.4/100,000 in 2002 to 27.4/100,000 in 2009 (annual increase 2.7%). 
- Significant increases in incidence were present in boys and girls, and all age groups except for children aged 0-4 years of age. The incidence was highest among youth aged 5-9 years (38.7 per 100,000 person years) and lowest among youth aged 15-19 years (14.8 per 100,000 person years) in 2009. 
- Prevalence of T1DM has also increased: 0.15% in 2001 to 0.19% in 2009 (30% increase). Significant increases in prevalence were seem among boy and girls, in all age groups, and all race/ethnic groups except for Asian Pacific Islanders and American Indians. 
- In 2009, the prevalence of T1DM was highest among children 15-19 (0.32%) and non-Hispanic Whites (0.25%). The lowest prevalence is observed among very young children aged 0-4 (0.03%) and American Indian (0.04%). 
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: August 2, 2017
Lazo-Elizondo, Mariana, et al. "Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes." Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547048/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_1_Diabetes.
Lazo-Elizondo M, Rastogi Kalyani R, Liang M. Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes. Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547048/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_1_Diabetes. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Lazo-Elizondo, M., Rastogi Kalyani, R., & Liang, M. (2017). Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes. In Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547048/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_1_Diabetes
Lazo-Elizondo M, Rastogi Kalyani R, Liang M. Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide. ; 2017. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547048/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_1_Diabetes.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes ID - 547048 A1 - Lazo-Elizondo,Mariana,M.D. AU - Rastogi Kalyani,Rita,M.D., M.H.S. AU - Liang,Menglu,MHS Y1 - 2017/08/02/ BT - Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_Diabetes_Guide/547048/all/Epidemiology_of_Type_1_Diabetes DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -