The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the emergency use of Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir) for the treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 disease in adults and pediatric (≥ 12 years of age) who are at high risk for progressing to severe COVID-19 illness, including hospitalization and death.
- Risk factors for severe disease include diabetes, overweight (BMI >25), chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease, current smoker, immunosuppressive disease or immunosuppressive treatment, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, sickle cell disease, neurodevelopmental disorders, active cancer, and patients >60 years of age.
- In February 2023, the FDA updated the EUA by removing the need for a positive COVID-19 viral test to prescribe the medication.
Paxlovid is NOT authorized for:
- Initiation of treatment for patients requiring hospitalization
- Pre-exposure or post-exposure prophylaxis for prevention of COVID-19
- Use longer than 5 consecutive days
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: February 6, 2023
Dzintars, Kathryn. "Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540766/all/Nirmatrelvir_Ritonavir.
Dzintars K. Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540766/all/Nirmatrelvir_Ritonavir. Accessed May 30, 2023.
Dzintars, K. (2023). Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540766/all/Nirmatrelvir_Ritonavir
Dzintars K. Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 May 30]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540766/all/Nirmatrelvir_Ritonavir.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir ID - 540766 A1 - Dzintars,Kathryn,Pharm.D., BCPS Y1 - 2023/02/06/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540766/all/Nirmatrelvir_Ritonavir PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -