- Aerobic, Gram-negative rod [Fig 1], 2-4 x 0.4-0.6µm.
- It grows on standard media from a stool source but needs a fresh specimen.
- Enrichment broth (tetrathionate or selenite) may help growth when organisms present in low numbers.
- Salmonella enterica serovars typhi and paratyphi cause typhoid and paratyphoid fever, respectively.
- Typhoid and paratyphoid fever are collectively known as enteric fever.
- See separate non-typhoidal Salmonella spp module for these agents that cause enterocolitis and are a significant cause of food-borne infection.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.