- Non-fermenting Gram-negative rod [Fig], easily grown on standard media.
- Previously referred to as Pseudomonas maltophilia.
- Ubiquitous organism: found in water, soil and plants.
- Considered low virulence and frequent colonizer of body fluids, especially in patients exposed to high-intensity courses of antibiotics.
- Environmental and clinical isolates often exhibit multiple antibiotic resistance.
- S. maltophila tends to adhere and form biofilms to catheters and prosthetic devices.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.