is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Polymicrobial in up to 25% including anaerobes.
- Given that most splenic abscesses are secondary to bacteremia or fungemia (e.g., associated with endocarditis, UTI, pancreatitis, GI tract, etc.), the likely pathogen(s) are determined by original focus.
- Gram-negative bacilli, especially
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Candida spp.
- Neutropenia and chronic corticosteroid use predispose to candidal splenic abscesses.
- Chronic disseminated candidiasis (formerly hepatosplenic candidiasis) often include frank candidal splenic abscesses.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: September 3, 2017
Carpenter, Christopher F, and Nick Gilpin. "Splenic Abscess." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2017. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540514/all/Splenic_Abscess.
Carpenter CF, Gilpin N. Splenic Abscess. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2017. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540514/all/Splenic_Abscess. Accessed July 19, 2019.
Carpenter, C. F., & Gilpin, N. (2017). Splenic Abscess. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540514/all/Splenic_Abscess
Carpenter CF, Gilpin N. Splenic Abscess [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2017. [cited 2019 July 19]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540514/all/Splenic_Abscess.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Splenic Abscess
ID - 540514
A1 - Carpenter,Christopher,M.D.
AU - Gilpin,Nick,D.O.
Y1 - 2017/09/03/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540514/all/Splenic_Abscess
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine