Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- SARS-associated coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Respiratory pathogen with spread by airborne droplet transmission.
- RNA enveloped virus; note that the coronavirus causing SARS is a separate group than those previously reported to cause human or animal illness.
- First reported in SE Asia February 2003. Last known human case in China, April 2004.
- Declared a select agent by CDC (2012, select agent is a bacterium, virus or toxin that has the potential to pose a severe threat to public health and safety).
- Although Coronavirus and metapneumovirus and other bacterial and viral (influenza) pathogens have also been co-isolated from patients, SARS-CoV is considered the causative agent.
- Animal reservoir initially thought to be the civet cat, latest information suggests the Horseshoe bat implicated in transmitting this infection to humans.