is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Anaerobic Gram-positive cocci: part of normal flora of the mouth, GI and GU tracts as well as skin.
- Heterogeneous group of "anaerobic strep" now classified in 5 groups and changes in taxonomy can be confusing. For example, Finegoldia magna is the former Peptosteptococcus magnus.
- Small cocci, may be seen on Gram stain in short chains and pairs.
- GPC seen may appear identical to aerobic streptococci (chains) or staphylococci (clusters) [Fig].
- Non-spore forming
- Peptostreptococcus (which includes the former Peptococcus) account for nearly all anaerobic GPC except Finegoldia magna.
- Most common and important: Finegoldia magna, P. asaccharolyticus. Less common: P. micros, P. anaerobius.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: July 2, 2016
Auwaerter, Paul G, and John G Bartlett. "Peptostreptococcus." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2016. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/3.2/Peptostreptococcus.
Auwaerter PG, Bartlett JG. Peptostreptococcus. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/3.2/Peptostreptococcus. Accessed October 18, 2019.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Bartlett, J. G. (2016). Peptostreptococcus. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/3.2/Peptostreptococcus
Auwaerter PG, Bartlett JG. Peptostreptococcus [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2016. [cited 2019 October 18]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/3.2/Peptostreptococcus.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Peptostreptococcus
ID - 540426
A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D.
AU - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2016/07/02/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540426/3.2/Peptostreptococcus
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine