- The most common viral sexually transmitted infection.
- All anogenital warts are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infection.
- Most (>90%) anogenital warts are benign, caused by HPV subtypes 6 and 11, which are "low-risk" (for malignancy) HPV subtypes.
- HPV subtypes 16 and 18, the most common "high-risk" subtypes, cause ~70% of cervical cancers but usually do not cause warts.
- These other "intermediate risk" HPV subtypes, including 16, 18, 31, 33, and 35, are associated with high-grade squamous intraepithelial neoplasia (HG-SIL) and are occasionally found in warts, particularly in persons with concurrent HIV infection.
- For additional non-genital wart information, see the HPV module.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: March 7, 2023
Melia, Michael. "Genital/Anogenital Warts." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2023. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540244/all/Genital_Anogenital_Warts.
Melia M. Genital/Anogenital Warts. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540244/all/Genital_Anogenital_Warts. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Melia, M. (2023). Genital/Anogenital Warts. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540244/all/Genital_Anogenital_Warts
Melia M. Genital/Anogenital Warts [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2023. [cited 2023 June 01]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540244/all/Genital_Anogenital_Warts.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Genital/Anogenital Warts ID - 540244 A1 - Melia,Michael,M.D. Y1 - 2023/03/07/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540244/all/Genital_Anogenital_Warts PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -