Genital Ulcer Adenopathy Syndromes
- Common Sexually Transmitted Infections:
- Herpes simplex virus
- Treponema pallidum (primary syphilis or chancre)
- Chlamydia trachomatis L1, L2 and L3 serovars causing lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) (relatively uncommon in the U.S., but outbreaks, particularly in men who have sex with men, have been reported)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections which are very rare in the United States:
- Haemophilus ducreyi (chancroid)
- Klebsiella granulomatis (formerly Calymmatobacterium granulomatis) causing granuloma inguinale (donovanosis)
- Other infections which have been occasionally reported to cause genital ulcers:
- Primary HIV
- Phthirus pubis
- Sarcoptes scabei with pyoderma
- Entamoeba histolytica
- In 2022 an outbreak of monkeypox was reported, with some individuals noted to have genital ulcers, among other clinical features.
- Trauma, fixed drug eruption, Behçets syndrome, malignancy, Crohn’s disease, Lipschutz ulcer
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: October 18, 2022
Tuddenham, Susan, and Noreen A Hynes. "Genital Ulcer Adenopathy Syndromes." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2022. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540243/8/Genital_Ulcer_Adenopathy_Syndromes.
Tuddenham S, Hynes NA. Genital Ulcer Adenopathy Syndromes. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540243/8/Genital_Ulcer_Adenopathy_Syndromes. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Tuddenham, S., & Hynes, N. A. (2022). Genital Ulcer Adenopathy Syndromes. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540243/8/Genital_Ulcer_Adenopathy_Syndromes
Tuddenham S, Hynes NA. Genital Ulcer Adenopathy Syndromes [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2022. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540243/8/Genital_Ulcer_Adenopathy_Syndromes.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Genital Ulcer Adenopathy Syndromes ID - 540243 A1 - Tuddenham,Susan,M.D. AU - Hynes,Noreen,M.D., M.P.H., D.T.M.&H. Y1 - 2022/10/18/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540243/8/Genital_Ulcer_Adenopathy_Syndromes PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -