Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile
is a topic covered in the Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Official website of the Johns Hopkins Antibiotic (ABX), HIV, Diabetes, and Psychiatry Guides, powered by Unbound Medicine. Johns Hopkins Guide App for iOS, iPhone, iPad, and Android included. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Spore-forming anaerobe, Gram-positive bacillus [Fig 1].
- Found in human and animal feces, also in water and soils.
- Reclassified as molecular sequencing suggests that the organism should be in the Peptostreptococcaceae family and termed Peptoclostridium.
- Clostridioides difficile name selected to differentiate from Clostridiaspp. which are not related but allowing for less clinical confusion moving from the long-standing terminology of Clostridium difficile.
- Produces toxins A and B that cause colitis in humans.
- Occasionally grown in anaerobic cultures, rarely a cause of infection other than colitis.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Last updated: June 6, 2019
Bartlett, John G. "Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) Difficile." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2019. Johns Hopkins Guide, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile.
Bartlett JG. Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile. Accessed October 15, 2019.
Bartlett, J. G. (2019). Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. Available from https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile
Bartlett JG. Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) Difficile [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2019. [cited 2019 October 15]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Clostridioides (ex. Clostridium) difficile
ID - 540134
A1 - Bartlett,John,M.D.
Y1 - 2019/06/06/
BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540134/all/Clostridium_difficile
PB - The Johns Hopkins University
DB - Johns Hopkins Guide
DP - Unbound Medicine