- Enteric aerobic Gram-negative bacilli [Fig 1], a normal part of gut flora.
- Can be mistakenly identified as Salmonella; colonies on plates [Fig 2] resemble E. coli.
- Species associated w/ infection most commonly C. freundii, C. amalonaticus and C. koseri (previously known as C. diversus).
- C. braakii, a member of the C. freundii complex, is described as causing infection, mainly in immunocompromised patients.
- Commonly found in soil, water, foodstuffs and normal inhabitant of gut flora in humans and animals.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.