Bamlanivimab and Etesevimab
- ON JANUARY 24, 2022, THE FDA WITHDREW THE EUA FOR BAMLANIVIMAB/ETESEVIMAB. THIS TREATMENT IS NO LONGER AUTHORIZED FOR USE IN ANY U.S. STATE, TERRITORY, OR JURISDICTION AND SHOULD NOT BE ADMINISTERED TO PATIENTS.
- The FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) permitting the use of monoclonal combination for the treatment of mild to moderate coronavirus disease in adult and pediatric (≥ 12 years of age; ≥40 kg) with a positive SARS-CoV-2 test who are at high risk* for progressing to severe disease or hospitalization. This EUA restricts treatment to outpatient administration only. It is not approved for use for hospitalized patients.
- Bamlanivimab and Etesevimab MUST be administered together after dilution by IV infusion under this EUA.
- *High risk is defined as any of the following:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) ≥ 35
- Have chronic kidney disease
- Have diabetes
- Have immunosuppressive disease
- Are currently receiving immunosuppressive treatment
- Are ≥65 years of age
- Cardiovascular disease OR
- Hypertension OR
- COPD/other chronic respiratory diseases
- Are 12 – 17 years of age AND have one of the following
- BMI ≥85th percentile for their age and gender-based on CDC growth charts (https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm), OR
- Sickle cell disease, OR
- Congenital or acquired heart disease, OR
- Neurodevelopmental disorders, for example, cerebral palsy, OR
- Medical-related technological dependence, for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation (not related to COVID-19), OR
- Asthma, reactive airway or other chronic respiratory diseases requiring daily medication for control.
- Bamlanivimab/etesevimab is NOT authorized for use in patients:
- Who are hospitalized due to COVID-19, or
- Who require oxygen therapy due to COVID-19, or
- Who require an increase in baseline oxygen flow rate due to COVID-19 in those on chronic oxygen therapy due to underlying non-COVID-19-related comorbidity
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.