- Aerobic, intraceullular Gram-negative coccobacilli [Fig 1] causing brucellosis.
- Grows on a variety of media, usually within 24-48h of inoculation.
- Zoonotic disease, most important species for human infections:
- B. abortus (cattle, buffalo)
- B. melitensis (goat, sheep, camel)
- B.suis (swine, wild animals)
- B. canis (dog)
- Less common:
- B. ovis (sheep)
- B. neotomae (desert and wood rats)
- Three marine species also described afflicting marine mammals (B. delphini, B. pinnipediae, B. cetaceae) have been described causing human disease.
- Most human disease due to B. arbortus and B. melitensis.
- There is a correlation between seroprevalence in animals and human cases.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 12, 2020
Auwaerter, Paul G, and Jaffar A Al-Tawfiq. "Brucella Species." Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, The Johns Hopkins University, 2020. Johns Hopkins Guides, www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540068/all/Brucella_Species.
Auwaerter PG, Al-Tawfiq JA. Brucella Species. Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540068/all/Brucella_Species. Accessed June 7, 2023.
Auwaerter, P. G., & Al-Tawfiq, J. A. (2020). Brucella Species. In Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University. https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540068/all/Brucella_Species
Auwaerter PG, Al-Tawfiq JA. Brucella Species [Internet]. In: Johns Hopkins ABX Guide. The Johns Hopkins University; 2020. [cited 2023 June 07]. Available from: https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540068/all/Brucella_Species.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Brucella Species ID - 540068 A1 - Auwaerter,Paul,M.D. AU - Al-Tawfiq,Jaffar,M.D. Y1 - 2020/01/12/ BT - Johns Hopkins ABX Guide UR - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540068/all/Brucella_Species PB - The Johns Hopkins University DB - Johns Hopkins Guides DP - Unbound Medicine ER -