Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Microsporidia is general term for obligate intracellular eukaryotic parasites belonging to phylum Microsporidia.
- Most commonly identified with human disease:
- Enterocytozoon bieneusi
- Encephalitozoon hellem, Encephalitozoon cuniculi & Encephalitozoon intestinalis (syn. Septata intestinalis)
- Vittaforma corneae
- Sources of infection & modes of transmission, likely zoonotic and/or waterborne.
- Spores are quite resistant to environmental conditions and can remain infectious for several years, particularly if protected from desiccation.