Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Member of Betaherpesviridae, double-stranded DNA virus with envelope; viral DNA polymerase is target for drugs.
- Latency established after infection. 60-100% seroprevalence.
- Reactivation of latent infection (increasing w/ advancing immune suppression) responsible for most HIV-related disease.
- Transmission via saliva, blood, semen, cervical secretions, breast milk, urine, or feces.
- Histology reveals large basophilic intranuclear "owl’s eye" and intracytoplasmic inclusion bodies.