Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Cryptococcus neoformans var. neoformans (serotypes A and D).
- Cryptococcus neoformans var. gattii (serotypes B and C, rare in HIV).
- Cryptococcus neoformans var. grubii (has been used to designate serotype A).
- Yeast-like round fungus, 5-10 µm with polysaccharide capsule
- Epidemiology: found worldwide in soil; major OI in sub-saharan Africa,Thailand, India. In US pre-HAART era 5-8% of HIV+ pts developed cryptococcosis. Dramatically reduced incidence in HAART era.