Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Fastidious, Gram-negative aerobic coccobacillus of Neisseriaceae family.
- Labs may misidentify due to organism’s tendency for crystal violet dye retention, therefore appearing Gram positive.
- β-hemolytic, catalase negative; will not grow on MacConkey agar.
- Polysaccharide capsule aids in virulence and invasive abilities.
- Part of normal respiratory and GU flora, especially in children (colonization rates 9-12% ages 12-24 mos).
- Kingella kingae most frequent human pathogen.
- Other occasional species include K. dentrificans and K. oralis.
- Generally susceptible to many antibiotic classes.