Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Drug not currently available for use in the U.S.
- Also known as in the literature as entamide furoate or entamide.
- CDC conducted a study with investigational use of the drug between 1977-1990.
NON-FDA APPROVED USES
- Amebiasis limited to the GI lumen, caused by Entamoeba histolytica.
- As combination therapy with other antiprotozoals such as nitroimidazoles for the treatment of invasive or extraintestinal amebiasis. Diloxanide furoate is not a tissue amoebicide and therefore in extraintestinal infections of E. histolytica, another agent (specifically a "tissue amoebicide" like Metronidazole) should be considered for use in combination with diloxanide furoate.