Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Frequently polymicrobial, usually gastrointestinal flora.
- E. coli
- Klebsiella species
- Enterobacter species
- Enterococcus (often of unclear relevance)
- Anaerobes (often of unclear relevance)
- Pathogenic role of enterococci and anaerobes not well defined and empirical coverage for these organisms is not usually required.
- Resistant pathogens may be encountered in patients with health care-associated infections and empirical coverage should be adjusted accordingly.