Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Chikungunya virus (CHKV): single positive strand RNA arbovirus of family Togaviridae, genus Alphavirus.
- Name taken from the East African/Mozambique Makonde language "that which bends up," believed to describe contortions due to severe joint pain.
- Human infection is vector-borne, primarily mosquitoes.
- Recent outbreak (2005-2006) in Indian Ocean islands may represent more virulent strain than historically as complications (meningoencephalitis, multiorgan dysfunction) and death reported more frequently.
- Human disease, especially arthropathy, similar to alphavirus Ross River virus infection.