Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Free-living amoeba known to infection humans: Acanthamoeba spp, Naegleria fowleri, Balamuthia mandrillaris and Sappinia pedata. 
- Ubiquitous, isolated worldwide from soil, air, fresh & salt water.
- 2 stage life cycle:
- Actively feeding & dividing trophozoite
- Dormant cyst (double-walled, wrinkled cyst) which is resistant to chlorine and antibiotics. Encystation occurs under stress. 
- Described as “Trojan horses,” they can also harbor intracellular bacteria.