- Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus): Gram-positive diplococcus with polysaccharide capsule, demonstrated by Quellung reaction or capsular swelling when antibodies bind to capsular polysaccharide antigen.
- Ecologic niche is nasopharynx, colonizes 5-10% of adults, 20-40% of children.
- Definite pathogen when isolated from sterile site (blood, CSF, pleural or joint fluid).
- Probable pathogen in respiratory specimens (Gram stain or culture) or when urine Ag+ in setting of pneumonia.
Streptococcus pneumoniae was found in Johns Hopkins HIV Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide