- Group A Streptococcus (GAS), beta-hemolytic--grows on blood agar, best in anaerobic conditions.
- Gram-positive cocci in chains.
- Ecologic niche is pharynx. 2-3% of adults colonized, 15-20% school children.
- Virulence depends on proteins that represent toxins, mimic host macromolecules and after immune responses.
Streptococcus pyogenes (Group A) was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide