Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Anaerobic gram positive cocci: part of normal flora of the mouth, GI tract, genital tract and skin.
- Heterogeneous group of "anaerobic strep" now classified in 5 groups and changes in taxonomy can be confusing. For example, Finegoldia magna is the former Peptosteptococcus magnus.
- Small, may be seen on Gram stain in short chains and pairs.
- GPC seen may appear identical to aerobic streptococci (chains) or staphylococci (clusters).
- Peptostreptococcus and Peptococcus account for nearly all anaerobic GPC except Finegoldia magna.
- Most common and important: Finegoldia magna, P. asaccharolyticus. Less common: P. micros, P. anaerobius.