- Gram-positive branching, beaded, filamentous rod.
- Weakly acid fast.
- Grows on special media (Thayer-Martin) in 3-5d.
- 12 species: N. asteroides 90% (lung +/- CNS disease), N. brasiliensis = mycetoma (tropics), N. farcinica (bad prognosis).
- More recently detected species include N. nova, N. cyriacigeorica, N. transvalensis, N. otitidcaviatum and N. farcinica.
- Most common in US: N. nova, N. brazilensis, N. farcinica and N. cyriaciigeorgia.
Nocardia was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide