- Dimorphic fungus: large spherule 15-75µm diameter often containing endospores 2-5 µm in diameter at 37°C [Fig].
- Prefers warm but dry environs; low deserts.
- C. immitis found only in San Joaquin Valley while closely related C. posadasii is found elsewhere in desert regions of southwest U.S. Mexico, and Central/South America.
- Grows readily on standard fungal media.
Coccidioides immitis was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide