Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Thin, branching (filamentous) Gram positive bacillus.
- Microaerophilic, grow best anaerobically.
- VERY fastidious.
- Agents: A. israelii, A. gerencseriae, A. naeslundii, A. odontolyticus, A. viscosus, A. meyer and Propionibacterium propionicum.
- Normal flora of mouth, gut, genital tract.
- Diagnosis is often made by histopathology -- not by culture, even when suspected.