- Thin, branching (filamentous) Gram positive bacillus.
- Microaerophilic, grow best anaerobically. VERY fastidious.
- Agents: A. israelii, A. gerencseriae, A. naeslundii, A. odontolyticus, A. viscosus, A. meyer and Propionibacterium propionicum.
- Normal flora of mouth, gut, genital tract.
- Diagnosis is often made by histopathology -- not by culture, even when suspected.
Actinomyces was found in Johns Hopkins ABX Guide.
If you are a registered user, please log in below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Johns Hopkins Guides include up-to-date, authoritative content to help you treat patients and raise the standard of care.
Try these free topics now!
Johns Hopkins ABX Guide
Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
Johns Hopkins HIV Guide