Johns Hopkins Guides provide diagnosis, management, and treatment guidance for infectious diseases, diabetes, and psychiatric conditions. Explore these free sample topics:
~~ The first section of this topic is shown below ~~
- Aerobic gram-negative coccobacillus or rod, often mistaken for Neisseria or Moraxella on Gram stain.
- Common in environment (water, soil) and hospital (catheters, lotions, ventilation equipment).
- Grows on standard agar media.
- A. baumannii is the major species of Acinetobacter.
- Occasional other species include: A. calcoaceticus, A. lwoffi, A. junii, A. johnsonii and A. baylyi.
- Low grade pathogen affecting compromised hosts (immunosuppression, post-surgical, ventilator-associated pneumonia, burn wounds, ICU pts, device-associated infections and malnutrition).